Paperback: 386 pages

Publisher: Elaine Bergstrom (January 24, 2011)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0982970609

ISBN-13: 978-0982970607

Book Description:

Helen Wells, 19, is a gifted painter, struggling to create a legacy before the illness that left her crippled claims her life. Stephen Austra is a brilliant glass artist, and an immortal. When they meet, their passion is immediate and intense. But as their love grows, Dick Wells, Helen's uncle and a homicide expert on the local police department, begins investigating a series of savage murders committed, he is forced to believe, by something not human. Soon all three will be drawn into a struggle with a dark presence from Stephen's past, one that lays claim to the life of the woman he loves and one that, for all his power, he is helpless to control. This novel, first published in 1989 to critical acclain is being reissued in a special updated -- and uncut -- version, and includes 12,000 words not found in the original edition. It is the first of 6 books in the Austra series.

To see more books in the Austra series visit: http://www.elainebergstrom.com/Ordering-Books.html

Knitting A Novel...

Before you write a guest blog, it’s a good idea to visit the site and see what it’s like. And this one is quite lovely with its beautiful skeins of glorious yarns. It was like cloud watching: A couple of photos looked like painted shih tzus, some were poodle-esque, a couple were as Mod as London in the 70s and one looked a bit like Donald Trump’s hair if he were dressing as a clown for Halloween. But my favorite was the starfish fiber. I’d wear it just as it is, but with a bit of work it could be turned into something even more magnificent.

I have a friend who comes to my writing workshop in Milwaukee with her knitting bag. She’s won quite a few awards and she claims that the motion of her hands helps her to concentrate and that she often knits while working through scenes for her novels. I can relate. Though I’ve never learned to knit and though my grandmother tried her best to teach me, I could barely crochet, but creativity is of all kinds. I used to hobby in glass design, and while my hands were engaged in cutting and piecing the patterns, my mind traveled elsewhere, starting the mental process that led to seven novels about the Austra family of immortal glassworkers and their adventures in our human world.

Writing for me is a lot like weaving. There are the heavier yarns of the dialog, the lighter strands that become the descriptions which are added next then the little flourishes – the emotions, the flutter of a hand, the rise of an eyebrow, a sudden averting of the eyes. Like any craft, writing requires practice. I remember that order – dialog, description, emotion – but I need not do it any longer. Today I can write much more quickly and scenes come together fully written. I’ve celebrated the creativity of hands with my Austra family...and In my first novel, Shattered Glass, Stephen Austra describes the emotion all craftsmen feel when he speaks of his first magnificent church window:

“As I walked through Chartres, surrounded by the synthetic rubies, amethysts, emeralds, and other precious tones, I could feel in the darkness the peace, the inspiration, the wisdom all people would discover, and I received a satisfaction from the creation of that beauty, which was so intense that no emotion has ever equaled it. Those windows sang to me in a chorus of light and color, and their voices were magnificent!”

I feel that way about my novels, about Stephen Austra and Helen his beautiful half-human lover, about their children and their kin and their work and the stories of the family that span the centuries from the Middle Ages to the near future. If you love them half as much as I loved creating them, I will be blessed.

I’m getting a glass grinder soon, it won’t take me away from the writing I love...I expect that instead, there will be more prose, created while my hands are occupied.



















Bio:

Elaine Bergstrom was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and is the product of 16 years of Catholic education which, she is sure, has strongly affected her work. Her first novel, Shattered Glass, was among the first vampire romances and created a family of vampiric immortals -- powerful, eternal but with some odd constraints on their natures. It was set in her hometown and the church she attended as a child. It was nominated for a Stoker, received critical acclaim and has been followed by four other related novels, as well as Under the pseudonym Marie Kiraly (her grandmother's name), she has written two Dracula sequels: Mina...the Dracula Story Continues and Blood to Blood. She resides in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she runs a novel writing workshop, freelances as a TV and film critic and writes grumpy old lady letters to her congressmen and local papers. You can get additional information on her books and upcoming appearances at elainebergstrom.com


The kindle edition of Shattered Glass is the "author's cut" version -- including 10,000 words not included in the original paperback.

http://www.elainebergstrom.com

Amazon Page: http://www.amazon.com/Elaine-Bergstrom/e/B000APQK04

3 comments

  1. Sosae // June 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

    Loved this, Vickie! :)

  2. Unknown // June 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

    me too Sosae thanks oh and the starfish fiber was yours that she talked about.

  3. Annie // June 13, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

    So fun Vickie! Thanks for sharing it with me. Enjoyable.